The NEXUS Platform is a paradigm-shifting platform for civil society leadership that aims to shape the future in Somalia and Somaliland and breaks the silos of humanitarian aid, development and peace building interventions. NEXUS has secured funding from the Dutch Relief Alliance (DRA) to set up an Anticipatory and Emergency Response Fund. This pilot fund has been designed to ensure that NEXUS members can access funding to anticipate impeding crisis or respond quickly to sudden emergencies. The mechanism aims to address a crucial funding gap and ensure quick access to emergency funding for local responders.
WAJIR SOUTH DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION (WASDA) is one of the members of the NEXUS Platform and has been entrusted with the management of the Anticipatory and Emergency Response Fund. WASDA is looking to engage an Emergency Officer to run the management of this fund and to accompany and support the different NEXUS members during the implementation of the fund.
Management of the fund
- Act as focal point towards the NEXUS Platform to ensure a smooth communication and coordination around the fund.
- Ensure the procedures that govern the release of the fund are adhered to in a timely matter.
- Monitor the utilization of funds as per the agreed budget plans and propose any needed revisions.
- Coordinate closely with the NEXUS member organization implementing anticipatory/emergency project and prepare timely reports (narrative and financial) in order to facilitate internal and external reporting (donor).
- Prepare and follow-up contracts that will manage the release of specific allocation to members.
- Ensure these contracts are adhered to (among others ensure timeline transfers, reports…)
- Report any challenges during the implementation of the fund to senior management.
Support and accompany the NEXUS Platform and its members
- Provide overall management support to the different members during their engagement with the fund, including the implementation of funded anticipatory and emergency response interventions.
- Track fund alerts raised by member organizations and ensure to take a complete audit of the response timelines against the standards for reflection and learning.
- Document the successes and challenges faced by the organizations, the NEXUS secretariat and the steering committee in terms raising alert, submitting proposals and the related decision-making processes.
- Follow up and document crises reported by members in the alert template (regardless of whether the alert is validated or not).
- Follow-up on any questions that the members might have related to the Anticipatory and Emergency Response Fund and share with the NEXUS secretariat in a timely manner.
- With the NEXUS MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) Coordinator, support the Members to develop and implement needs assessment and monitoring tools and ways of working.
- Support the capturing of lessons learned derived from running of the fund and present those lessons towards the NEXUS Platform and its members.
- Ensure, in collaboration with the relevant MEAL and project teams that communication products such as human-interest stories, pictures and videos are produced and shared in a timely manner.
- Any other task deemed necessary by the supervisor.
University degree in social sciences, development/humanitarian/peacebuilding studies or related field
Extensive programme and project management experience in humanitarian/emergency settings
Sound financial management and project budget skills
Understanding of resilience work and linking Humanitarian, Development and Peacebuilding (Triple Nexus) approaches
Experience in Risk Reduction or Anticipatory responses is an asset
Experience in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning is an asset
Understanding of English language (written and spoken). Somali language is an asset
The position is a Full-Time position for 5 months (from June until October 2021) and extendible if further funding is secured.
This position is based in Kismayu. Jubaland, Somalia. The emergency Officer can be requested to travel and visit projects and support partners during day-to-day management.
Candidates with the required profile and proven experience, who meet these qualifications, are invited to submit current CV and a cover letter detailing salary expectations to: [email protected] by Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 5pm East Africa time
Females are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.